Wednesday, July 05, 2006

June 11: The INCIDENT.....OMG, I almost died in Jordan!

June 11, 2006
OK I'm back. I had this horrible little incident with a slice of cake......and did not even eat the whole thing!!! Not fair.

Apparently people in Jordan do not bake with sugar like we do, they use honey!

For those of you who do not know, I am very allergic to honey (swelling, throat closing, etc).

One of our friends is married to a Jordanian so I went over to their apt with some of his friends. We went to Safeway to get drinks and we saw these cake slices. They looked really good, so I picked some out. After eating, I ate about 1/2 of slice and it was not as good as it looked but OK.

I got home about 1 am and by 2am my top lip was starting to swell up just on one side. I thought I was getting a fever blister. Thirty minutes later it was spreading all the way across and very painful.

I was really getting scared because everyone was asleep and I did not want to wake them up. I also had n/v and fever. I had my epi pen next to me. By the morning, I looked like a real freak. Somewhere between Angelina Jolie with a really bad botox job and Daffy Duck. Needless to say I scared everyone and did not go to the field.

Sorry no pictures of this, although I thought about taking a picture at the time because I did not think anyone would believe me. However, after I saw the reaction of my roomies I decided I better not have this proof.

I have been "Sister Tamara" here. That is what they call the nurses at the hospital. I have had the cure for everyone so far, however, I did not have the cure for me. I took about 200 mg of Benadryl with little success. Finally, I put on a hijab and actually covered everything but my eyes and set out to find a pharmacy.

I found these 3 really nice ladies at the pharmacy, only one could speak any English. It took awhile but I managed to procur Prednisone tabs. By that pm, I was more along the lines of Liv Tyler's upper lip. The inside of my mouth stayed sore for a day or so and I still have a lot of trouble swallowing. I have not eaten much.

Went to the Dead Sea the next day. It was really beautiful. I floated and that was so cool. Although the salt in the water burns and it is not good for women to stay in for too long at a time. We had a head's up on that before we went.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lots of gooey sticky mud at the bottom. Everyone would plaster it on them, then let it dry and wash it off. It makes your skin soft, but it burns too.

Mud covered people, at least one of which needs a bigger bathing suit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Israel was across the water. Did not get to stay for the sunset, heard that's beautiful and you can see Jerusalm lights at night.

Went to Amman last night to eat at this friends house. None of the family spoke English really well but they were very nice. The food was good. One of the daughters does henna tatoos, so she did one on my fingers and hand and wrote my name in Arabic above it. Really cool. Julianna took this great photo.





Got home really late, so I am tired today. Making progress on the large tomb. We have excavated all the small tombs around the side. We have dug down nearly 6 feet to the floor and we found a stone sarcophagus yesterday.




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting






Today we found 2 more stone cut tombs under the dirt.




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting






Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting






Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





We found a coin that can help date it but I am not sure what it is exactly. I have not seen it yet. Found lots of pottery sherds and bones. Possibly some jewelry I heard today. I just stayed in the tomb. My tan is starting to fade I need to get back outdoors. I have a serious watch band line.

Hoping to find some world cup action somewhere tonight or tomorrow, I think the US is playing Monday.

No comments: