I have been very busy with digging. I am now on my 5th tomb. It is the 3rd all by myself. I get a worker or two and we just start digging the tomb. This also means that I get to write the final reports. For some reason everyone else just has one or two, but I now have 4 soon to be 5. So that is what I am doing in my spare time. I have come to the internet cafe to write and print it out.
Found another scorpion, but that is all. The most danger is falling into a tomb when you are trying to walk from place to place. There is not much room on that ledge area and if you misstep, OOPS. The instructer falls into them all the time. It is funny, but you could really break something and it is a LONG climb back to the top.

The Jordanian archaeologist that is "observing" us is disgusted with all the bugs. So she sent for someone to spray for bugs. So here came a big tractor with a tank on the back. Some of the worker began spraying. I know this stuff is banned in the US. It was everywhere and most of us did not get out the way in time. We had masks on, but it was pretty stout. One girl had an asthma attack and had to leave.
It has been in the 90's but very hot if you are digging in the sun. I had to kick the workers out of my tomb today because they were in there nice and cool and I was dying of heat. I got in there and started digging for a while.
I have had a baby tomb. It had a large passageway, but the tomb was very tiny. Kinda sad.
No bone fragments or artifacts were found, except for a plastic bag that some tomb robber left behind buried deep in the soil. At first we thought it was an unfinished tomb, but the experts on site said that it was completed. There was a basin like area in the back, man-made? water erosion?
Yesterday 2 of my workers jumped out of one of my tombs talking excitedly. One of them ran up the hill. I had no idea what was going on. They were saying "bugs". Actually what they saw or thought they saw was a mouse. The guy that ran up the hill came back with bug spray and sprayed the heck out of the tomb. I never saw the mouse, but I have been giving them a hard time about it. These guys are around 20 years old. Wimps!
Leave for Petra tomorrow, also going to see the Crusader castle nearby.
Loaded some more pictures.
BYE

No comments:
Post a Comment