Monday, July 17, 2006

Now for our lesson in middle eastern geography...

Since I have been getting a lot of questions on this topic, let us have a refresher geography class.

Widespread bombing, destruction and generalized chaos on the left next to the blue. Israel and Lebanon are bombing the hell out of each other.

Syria at the top is causing some trouble. Iran is off the picture to the right somewhere causing a bit of trouble of their own and threatening to kill everyone!



Then there is his town. Relatively safe (maybe...Insha Alla), unless some stupid army person does not know how to aim a missile correctly. It is less than 20 miles from Syria. It appears to be less than 100 miles away from the coast (of course this calculation was done by using the map scale and measuring scientifically with my 2 fingers, so I could be wrong).

I have been on the phone with M. re: the situation and he does not act concerned about it.
This could be because (choose best answer):

A) he is not paying attention to the news since he is working in the field all day long on a dig supervising 34 students that are driving him insane.
B) he does not want to worry me
C) he just doesn't care much because they are always fighting.
D) he is a guy

What I don't think he understands is that American TV has this on TWENTY FOUR HOURS A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is all I see. I am a CNN addict, but this is getting old and it makes me worry alot!

Next question: How can I get to Jordan without having to fly over any of these countries?
I really have no idea how we got from Frankfurt to Amman.

2 comments:

Katkoot said...

You flew over the Med. Sea and then over Israel. That's how you pass from Frankfurt to Amman! You won't get to Amman without passing over israel, unless they choose to go south then cut up.

That may be a real possibilty because you start your decent over the med. Sea, and so your altitude should be too high for missles.. but.. you have decended by the time you hit Israel.

hey! they find out their schedules at the end of August.

Also, the answer is "All of the above"... Mine is not at all happy and says he is safe but worried.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Answering machine record greating porsche 911 Primary documents henry ford 1920 Web conferencing store Cingular motorola v220 undelete text messages Sear online payment Xanax links More core division shirt