Sunday, January 21, 2007

Valium cocktail anyone?....AKA.....A visit to the vet

So Saturday was the day I was dreading. Taking Raphael to the vet for his rabies shot. The one that I signed this little paper at the shelter that promised I would take him within 7 days of bringing him home. Yea right. It has been a month and I can just now pick him up!

The appt was at 11 am. So I decided about 8:30, I was use any opportunity to snag him and stuff him into the "Box of Doom". The opportunity came at 9 am. I had the cat carrier close by and the transfer went smoothly. When I say smoothly, I mean no permanent scars were obtained!

Then this happened.................. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(this was the tamer of the videos, sorry about the dark videos. I am going to work on buying some lighting today.)



Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos




Raphael was freaking out. I was freaking out. Rio was freaking out because he could hear all the hubbub through the door.

OMG. I felt horrible. I tried with the soothing words. Made it worse. Raphael was slamming into the side of the carrier, biting the metal gate and making awful sounds. MEDS. Surely I have something on hand. Nurses are walking pharmaceuticals. Valium! Yeah! I found it, but how much to give. I gave the valium to my Great Dane on stormy nights. She weighed 110 lbs. That was 5 years ago, is the Valium still any good? I would look bad if I took the cat into the vet and the cat was dead from an OD of the V-drug.

Plan B: Spray the cat pheromone thing. Did not work.

Plan C: Pull out the cat "calming medication". You are supposed to put it on food! That won't work. The cat is not interested in food or water. Damn!!!! Help!!!!

Plan D: BENADRYL! Works for everything. Yes! I have given benadryl to my cat, but I don't remember how much. CRAPOLA!

Plan D-1: Call the vet. Nice receptionist tells me to cover the carrier with a towel and keep noise level low. Don't give anything because I will likely get bitten. I still have 1 1/2 hours til the vet appt.

Plan E: Pillow sham over the carrier. Total bust!!! Think of calling back vet to tell them how well this worked and where they can put a certain cat carrier!





Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



Back to Plan D...D-2: Take small 1 cc dropper and put some Benadryl liquid in it. Tried dropping it on his paw. Maybe he will lick it. Well maybe not! Now he has red stains on his white paw. Think the vet will notice?

Next I open the cage and grab him by the neck, I squirt some Benadryl in his mouth. 0.2 cc was all I managed before copious foaming of the mouth occurred. Gross! Obviously cherry flavor is not up to his standard tuna and salmon taste! close cage.

Foaming/saliva drooling from mouth. What have I done!!!! Get towel, open cage, wipe up drool, wipe cat face. Not a happy cat camper. Close cage. Go get calculator to see how much Benadryl I have given the cat. OMG, 0.5 mg when a baby dose is 12.5 mg. This cat is a wuss! Give up on the Benadryl.

Plan F: Grab Rio who has been outside the door listening to all this ruckus. Maybe he can sooth the savage beast. He wanders in and looks into the carrier door. Raphael hisses and sticks paw out, but becomes relativelty calm. He has something else to think about now. They slap paws in between bars off and on, the occasional hiss. Overall, calm. By now it is time to go.






Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



Actually, the ride was uneventful, meoooooooowing was loud but otherwise tolerable. At the vet, I gave all the info. Lady took the cat in the carrier, returned in 3 and 1/2 minutes and said the vet said everything is ok and gave the rabies shot. OKAY! Apparently, a car/dog event had just occurred and the vet was about to do surgery. Good enough, I did not want the details. The secretary also agreed with me that Raphael is not deaf, at least not completely. On the way home, Raphael was calm and quite, except for a few moment of interest in the windshield wipers, no more crazy episodes.


Raphael in the Box of Doom
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It was raining and I had the worst headache ever! Deposited the cat at home. Finally saw him this morning. I was allowed to pet him, but not pick him up. Imagine that!



ALSO cute, but short, panda video...................

3 comments:

Susan said...

We got 2 cats about a year and a half ago, and I was unable to pick up the female for a while without her scratching and biting. Though she still does it from time to time, I can actually hold her in uncomfortable positions and she's relatively docile. As for Benadryl-HA! Vet told me to give that to her for her chronic respiratory issues...nothing disguises that terrible cherry smell (her chest was covered in it and she foamed up, before vomiting it all out). I then tried putting 1/2 of the capule (that's the vet's recommendation and she's a 15 lb cat) into delicious wet food...but she knew. We did have a former cat on Paxil for a while, but if you can't pill poor Raphael, I don't know what you do. Was he semi-feral?

pixie said...

Benadryl doesn't work, the vet said to give it to my cat for a road trip. Didn't do anything but make him foam at the mouth and look like a rabid cat!
Hope the next trip to the vet goes better!

tamara said...

Well, definitely no more Benadryl. Actually, Cairogal, he was adopted, lived with someone for a couple of years, then returned to the shelter. He is declawed so I don't think he was outside at all.

Pixie, hopefully we don't have to go for another year. Whew!!!