Monday, September 11, 2006

Today was the day

So.... today was my Dad's surgery and everything went well. My Mom played hostess to about 60 people. I just stayed out of the way and threw out my photo books keeping everyone busy and not talking to me. Ellen, my bestest friend since the 1st grade, came and rescued me. Some sanity is retained!! But I am very tired.

So here is the medical stuff: He was extubated about 5 pm tonight and on a VM. Breathing ok. He has a swan cath with a pretty good PA pressure for an old guy with asthma and asbestos exposure. He has the aline, pacer wires and drain. He had been weaned from 40 mcg of Neo to about 15 mcg. He is on Insulin gtt. So that means accuchecks every hour. Hopefully most of this will disappear by tomorrow am and he will be up in a chair and walking by tomorrow night. Instead of the long leg incisions that they used to do, they just do smaller micro incisions which will hopefully minimize the pain, because the legs are usually what hurts the worst after heart surgery.

I am off to bed because I am exhausted and actually still on call for work tonight

2 comments:

tamara said...

I got to sleep all night (and half the evening) so I feel better. I am on call Wed. then no more for 7 days. YEA! I'm going to call when I get to work for an update. The day shift nurses that were there yesterday will be there by then. They were really great and seemed to know what they were doing. This MD keeps his pt's in the ICU the whole time and does not tx them to the floor. So I think this will improve his care as well.

Katkoot said...

Yay!!!