The arm brace. Forget it!
You could be in a full body brace and they would run you down if you were in the way AND I had to pick up my bags and tramp around with them all over the place. There was no room for a bag buggy. But you know what? I finally got so disgusted and got one and started barrelling through. (I am French you know!).
To back up a minute. I managed to get on Dallas plane early (standby) like at 5:40 am. So I had all day at Big D (whoohoo, NOT). Business class was nice but I could not sleep well. Should have drank more wine!
Anyway made it to Amman and got all my bags, then got through security with only one bag being checked. (No comments on the curling iron).
Now the fun began: the taxi ride to Irbid. At the airport I tipped the bag boys well to find me a good taxi driver and he was very nice. He of course was a good taxi driver because he drove in the middle of the road so that he could swing right or left depending on which way the road curved (i.e. Nascar). He also stopped to get cigarettes and bought me a cola. He had music up loud and kept telling me not to sleep but to look out (it was dark!) I did fall asleep and woke up when he was close to Irbid because he stopped several times to yell out the window and ask where Yarmouk was. I think I got there at midnight.
Apparently everyone had airline trouble so Monday was the first day of the dig. We dug above the road (last time it was below) on a row of tombs. There are nine of us. 2 guys, the rest girls. Everybody is young except me of course.
Here is the outside of Tomb 27
The inside is much bigger than expected. It is large and rounded.

Here is Andrew (tomb supervisor) from UALR
Here are our 2 workers on this tomb: Abbas and Malik
Faris says Hi to Gretchen and Julianna. He has this cool thing on his car he got from Egypt. It plays music everytime he puts the car in reverse. He's loving that!
We leave at 5:45 am, break at 10, then have short Arabic lesson, then stop about 1:30. The mornings have been unusually cloudy and the wind blows alot, thank goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment