Tuesday, July 04, 2006

May 25: Bones, gold and more bones.....

May 25
Today, I excavated around the large bone that turned out to be the diaphysis of the tibia. It was a large piece. Immediately underneath that was another large bone fragment that we removed, humerous shaft.

My 2nd bone.....Ever. Very cool! I am on a roll!



We found a glass bead and another round bead while sifting throught the dirt in front of the tomb, then found a gold ear ring while sifting on the inside.

The tomb is completely filled with dirt, so we are having to dig through til we come to the back. We are leaving some soil on the bottom because that is the most likely place for skeletal remains. When we get to the back of the tomb, we will start excavating that from the back forward to the front. Already I am having to lay down on my stomach to get to the dirt. The tomb is very narrow and I guess we will just have to crawl in and dig.


Saw my first scorpion today, it was huge and black. Easy to spot. No more snakes. Tomorrow we go to Ajlun (Islamic castle that was built to defend against the Crusaders) and the city of Jerash. I hear they have a wonderful amphitheater with incredible acoustics.

We ate pizza tonight cooked in a real pizza oven with the long pizza handle and everything. No one spoke English really. We managed to get "beef" across, but we also got olives and mushrooms as well. The workers smoke while cooking, that is pretty standard.

They also just randomly have holes in the side walk, like 5 foot deep holes. You really have to watch what you are doing because there is no warning or barrier. Everyday a new hole appears, I have no idea what they are doing.

No comments: