Saturday, November 04, 2006

Note to self: Always ask how close the apartment is to a mosque

Welcome to Jordan!

I made it here without much trouble. The Chicago airport was a little difficult, but the city is quite lovely at night. The trip to Amman took 11 hours. The plane was not full so i was able to stretch out a bit and sleep.

After arriving, I got my visa and went to immigration. I was a little concerned because the immigration guy was grilling this Arab lady with a small child, an older Arab lady and then the guy in front of me that was American. He was asking all kinds of questions and even wanted proof that the American had a hotel reservation in Amman. I am thinking that I am in trouble...but here is the conversation:

Guy: "hello" (looks at my passport, then at me). "Your name is Ta-mar-ah?" I nod yes. "Do you speak Arabic" I look at him like he is crazy and nod no. "Are you sure, maybe you speak a little (emphasized with hand gesture) Arabic?"

Me: "Maybe just a little"

Guy: "What is your name?" (OK is this a trick question! He wanted my last name and how to spell and say it)

Guy: "Where are you going in jordan?"

Me: "Irbid"

Guy: "Where"?

Me: "Irbid. Yarmouk University"

Guy: "Welcome to Jordan! Try to learn some Arabic!"

Well that was easy!

The weather is perfect today (sat). Although everyone else is bundled up. i am currently unlayering from all these clothes because I thought it would be cooler.

My apartment has a great view of Irbid and Syria. Of course that would be because it is up 5 stories and I will have better buns from walking the stairs!!!

Oh yes, the mosque thing. Well last night I remember saying clearly "OK the apt is next to the mosque. Surely I won't get lost trying to find it"

What it means when your apt is next to a mosque-----What I should have figured out but did not until 4 am-----When the morning prayers occur, it sounds like someone has a bullhorn right outside your window. I was actually awake and waiting for the prayer. I think i may have fallen out of bed had i been asleep. It was sooooo loud and apparently the speakers were messed up because there was so much static that it sounded like really bad radio reception x 10 million. Well that was the "pre prayer call" (forgive me for my ignorance, I know it has a proper name). Then came the actual prayer call (which, thank heavens, they had fixed the speakers). So it was really pretty, but still quite loud.

I have to walk about 1 mile to the internet shop. I can now go the back way home and stay off the main road which diminishes the "stare at the american/blond person" phenom.

5 comments:

Katkoot said...

Yay! So if we rent this one, then i don't have to worry about NOT waking him up for the fajr prayer! Sometimes I sleep through that. he lives next to a mosque! So he's totally used to it. So it's not too bad to be on your own? Yay!

tamara said...

This will definitely wake you up I think.

Barb Ess said...

(found you through Julianna's blog)

LOL -- aaah, welcome to Jordan, eh? :) I've lived in a little village with a million muezzins (near Irbid) for months at a time and, well...you get used to it. Eventually. Hopefully. :)

pixie said...

I'm glad that you made it!!!

Katkoot said...

Yay! Then it will be good. Ohhhh! The video! I'll comment on that thread.