Monday, September 17, 2007

My weekend plus a totally gross thing that happened two weeks ago.

While lying about the apartment all weekend in a dizzy state that might be the closest thing to a drug-induced haze I'll ever know, I pretty much stayed on the computer the whole time and watched a M*A*S*H marathon.

I completely forgot to tell you this wonderful little tidbit:

It's a GIRL!!!!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I read this really cool blog called Diasporic Discontents

(I am pretty sure that I found this off of Cairogal's blog. Who really should get wife of the year after cooking all that food. Yummy!)

Anyway I read from about May 2007 til present and was very touched by her words.


She is an Egyptian Muslim that has lived in the US most of her life. She is presently engaged to a non-Muslim Latino, and imagine bringing that little fact back home to the family!

She discusses her Mom's reaction and her subsequent actions. Hmmm. It totally reminds me of a similar situation I had. Except she has it 10 times worse. The Qur'an allows for men to marry Christian or Jewish women, but apparently that privilege does not extend to the Islamic women (best I can surmise with my limited knowledge).

She has this awesome part where she talks about his family praying FOR them and her family praying AGAINST them. She wonders which prayers will reach God first. Been there...done that....Learned not to trust parents even when you love them a lot.
128297265616407500hmmyesthat.jpg






128297011302345000andatswheni.jpg



Also, if you have a little time....this panda video is awesome. Unfortunately, it did that annoying start/stop thing, so it took a few minutes to get through. It was worth it! Turn down the sound, the music gets on your nerves after a while.

So this happened 2 weeks ago and I just couldn't bring myself to think about it until now......

Well I was just browsing up and down aisles of Books A Million........ minding my own business.........when I cruised down the self-help aisle. Well, being beyond all hope, I just continued on down the aisle without really paying attention. UNTIL I passed an old guy (when I say old, I mean at least 70 probably closer to 100 years old) in said aisle right in front of the SEX/EROTICA section.

AND......................he was perusing through a book.
So I went past and pretended to look at the divorce recovery section and watched this old codger out of the corner of my eye. He put that book down and then grabbed a huge book (which was the extra large version of the Kama Sutra).

Then he put that back and picked up another with the cover showing a pretty much naked female.
In my mind, I am thinking "OMG this is soooooo disgustingly awesome!" So he takes this book and I am thinking he is going to buy this book. Instead he takes it to his previously occupied seat across from another old guy and starts going through the book. Gross!!!!XXXX@@@@

#1 point: when someone sees you in the erotic section, don't you normally turn around and start looking, at say, "Vacations in Vermont" from the travel section across the aisle.

#2 point: can you imagine the BAMM worker that has to reshelve all this. I can just hear the "What pervert was sitting here!!!!!????"

#3 point. I had just seen an article that says that HIV has doubled in persons over the age of 50. Sometimes because people with HIV are living longer due to medications but also because old folks are having more sex thanks to "enhancements" shall we say.

#4 point: You know how you could never imagine your own parents having sex BEFORE you were born??????? OMG can you see where I am going with this????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a pretty picture.

#5 point: Does this guy just look at the pictures or does he take back this information back somewhere?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG no way! That is so digustingly awesome!

Yeah, it's muslim girls can't marry out because they believe children get the religion of their father.

pixie said...

That is pretty gross.
Are you feeling any better?

tamara said...

julianna, I wonder if old women do that to? or is it just old guys?

pixie, i have to say I have never seen that before, it was gross.
I feel much better thank, I will be happy when I am off the prednisone so I will stop craving every food that pops into my head!

Susan said...

Yeah-Carmen's blog is awesome. She hasn't posted as much lately. I know of so few couples in which the Muslim marries a non-muslim man...always involves lots of family stress, pressure...rarely ends well unless one is prepared to lose one's family.

Susan said...

The Quran doesn't actually state anywhere that a Muslim woman can't marry a non-Muslim man. I asked my Arabic teacher (who also teaches classes in the basics of Islam), and he was only able to find a hadith to this effect, and was unable to speak to the 'strength' of the hadith (apparently these are classified into 3 groups based on how 'solid' the hadith is). Perhaps it was assumed that a man passed on religion, and therefore there was no need to state it. Per usual, the woman is on the losing end of religion.

tamara said...

Cairogal, very interesting! Yes God bless her, she has a long way to go.

Coming from a family that freaks out if you date a Baptist or a Methodist or any other Christian religion....much less any other non Christian religion....yes she has a long road ahead!

I just turned on the TV and I see the CNN report on "Afghanistan: Lifting the Veil". OMG It has only been on 2 minutes and I have tears in my eyes.

I think men can pretty much suck as a basic genetic unit, religion and cultural biases just give them some justification of their actions.